Who doesn’t love a good oatmeal raisin cookie? I’m not sure what it is about them that I love the most! Is it how soft and chewy they are? Or is it the raisins? I decided to see if oatmeal and raisins could be just as good in muffin form by coming up with my own recipe based off of ones for breakfast muffins and oatmeal raisin cookies that I’ve used before. The result was actually quite good! It is a very hearty muffin that is perfect for an on-the-go kind of breakfast. With only 1/2 cup of sugar and the rest of the sweetness coming from the unsweetened apple sauce and raisins, they aren’t too bad for you either.
– 1 cup quick oats
– 3/4 cup fat free milk
– 3/4 cup apple sauce
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 cup light brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1/2 cup all purpose flour
– 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (you can use all purpose flour if you really want!)
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– sprinkle salt
– 2/3 cup raisins (or more if you want!)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line or grease a 12 capacity cupcake tin.
2. Combine oats and milk in a small bowl and set aside
3. In a large bowl, combine apple sauce, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.
4. Sift together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Then, slowly add the dry ingredients to the apple sauce mixture, stirring well after each addition.
5. Mix in the milk and oatmeal mixture to the large bowl.
6. Fold in the raisins.
7. Divide the mixture evenly among the cupcake liners.
8. Bake for about 15-18 minutes.