I am a big fan of bananas. From baking with them, to eating them plain, to adding them to smoothies, they just go so well in anything. As a kid, one of my favorite desserts was banana milkshakes. Now that I’m an adult I still love a good banana milkshake from time to time, but I also discovered that if you take away the ice cream, you can treat yourself to an incredibly healthy, high protein, low sugar smoothie that tastes just as good as the banana milkshakes I used to love as a kid.
I feel like bananas really don’t get enough credit, but they really are a super fruit. They contain a ton of vitamins and minerals. Manganese, vitamin B6, potassium, and vitamin C just to name a few. Here’s a long list of all the great things that bananas can do for your body, but just trust me, they are great. I try to eat at least one a day, and that really isn’t hard considering how versatile they are for baking, etc., but for those late night sweets cravings they are particularly helpful if you try making this Healthy Banana Protein Smoothie with Flax. Ground flax is another wonderful superfood to incorporate into your diet, which is why I like to sneak it into as many things as possible. However, you can easily leave it out if you don’t want to enjoy all it’s health benefits (or just don’t have any on hand!)
– 2 bananas, sliced and frozen
– 1/3 cup almond milk (or other milk or milk substitute)
– 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
– 1 scoop of vanilla flavored grass-fed whey protein powder
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or Nutribullet, etc. Blend well until all ingredients are combined and consistency is smooth.
2. Pour into a glass and enjoy!