I am so glad that I stumbled upon the recipe for these Cherry Pie Bars over at The Recipe Critic. They were super easy and are absolutely perfect for summer! I think I actually liked them even more than regular cherry pie. The homemade dough and glaze that goes on top makes these bars melt in your mouth.
After thoroughly enjoying some of these Cherry Pie Bars, I got to thinking about how many delicious desserts could be made using this basic recipe. If cherry pies aren’t your thing, what about apple, peach or blueberry? You could easily substitute another pie filling instead of the cherry and I’m sure it could be equally as delicious, but I’m going to stick with the cherry for now 🙂
– 1 cup butter, softened
– 2 cups sugar
– 4 eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp almond extract
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tsp salt
– 2 cans (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
– 1 cup powdered sugar
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1./2 tsp almond extract
– 2 tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease or line a 9×13 pan.
2. Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs and beat well. Add in extracts and beat.
3. In a separate bowl, combine four and salt. Slowly add to the creamed mixture. Stirring after each addition.
4. Evenly spread out 3 cups of the batter in the bottom of your lined pan. Spread pie filling on top.
5. Drop the rest of the batter on top of the filling in clumps.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over top of the bars. Cut and serve.