I think I could eat banana bread every single day! It’s just one of those nostalgic foods from my childhood that I still find delicious and it is so easy to whip up. Unfortunately, my old tried and true recipe that I used to make banana bread had 3/4 cups of sugar! Yikes! I definitely like to indulge in a good dessert every once and a while, but if I prefer my sugar in an actual dessert and while I love banana bread, it’s not really a dessert in my book!
I set out to modify my original banana bread to be as “clean” and low in sugar as possible and to be something I could feel good about my toddler eating. Ever since we got a Little Partners Limited Edition Learning Tower, my daughter has loved being involved in the kitchen. She can be pretty picky depending on the day and I find that the more I involve her in food prep, the more likely she is to actually eat that food! Muffins are such a great toddler food- just grab and go!
After tinkering around a bit with my old banana bread muffin recipe, I came up with a delicious remake that has zero added sugar, no butter and no refined flour! Plus, my picky toddler approves! It’s a win all around! I know not everyone considers white whole wheat flour to be “clean” but I do, and at least it has more nutritional value than a regular all purpose white flour, right? So overall, I think this is a really solid muffin for breakfasts, snacks, or just whenever!
The best part about making these Clean Eating Banana Bread Muffins is the time I get to spend with my daughter in the kitchen. It is pretty amazing to share something I love doing with her. While it might be a lot messier and take a bit longer, it really is so rewarding for both of us and something I can’t encourage parents of toddlers to do enough! Here are a few tips to help it go a little more smoothly:
- Make sure you have a safe space for them to work like a Little Partners Learning Tower! I can’t stop recommending them to all my mom friends! Helping with food prep and baking is just one of the many things your little one will love doing it! Check out some more about why I love it so much here.
- Get all your ingredients ready and pre-measured before you start. This will help make it easier on you and your little one when mixing the ingredients together!
- Consider adding the egg last so you can let your toddler lick the spoon, because that’s half of the fun of baking, right?!
- Give simple tasks to them like placing the cupcake liners in the tin. It is great fine motor skill practice and they will love it!
Ok, now for the recipe!
Clean Eating Banana Muffins (Toddler Approved!)
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 capacity muffin tin with liners AND butter/spray.
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl.
- Add egg, maple syrup, vanilla and coconut oil and combine.
- Sprinkle in baking soda and salt and combine.
- Gradually stir in white whole wheat flour and flax (if using) until combined. It will be a pretty thick batter!
- Divide evenly into tins and bake for about 25 minute or until golden brown on top and a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.
- Enjoy 🙂
These muffins are amazing with a little (or a lot) of butter and you can feel good knowing they are sugar free and pretty darn healthy for both you and your little ones!
Like what you read? More like it here!