– 1 cup all purpose flour
– 1/4 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
– 1 large egg
– 2 tbsp milk
– 4 or 5 cooking apples (like Granny Smith), peeled, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
– canola oil for frying
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 2 tsp cinnamon
1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk and egg, until well combined. Whisk flour mixture in with the yogurt mixture and set aside.
2. Cut the center out of the apple slices using a very small round cookie cutter, or knife, etc. (I actually used the plastic lid of my milk container which was about the size of a quarter. It worked perfectly!)
3. Heat the canola oil over medium-low heat. You will know it is ready when small bubbles start to form. Dip each apple slice in the yogurt batter and use a spoon to make sure it is completely covered in a thin layer, then place them in the skillet in batches, flipping once when golden brown on the bottom. When both sides have been fried, remove with a fork or tongs and set on a plate lined with paper towels.
4. Mix together sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the apple rings while they are still hot. Serve while they are still warm.
**Recipe adapted from Diethood.com